As enumerated in the second post of the series, the basic services that should be provided by the project to its members can be divided in six major areas:
- Financial and accounting.
- Marketing and communication.
- Business development.
- Facilities maintenance and management.
The administrative service can be divided in the following way:
- Administrative services related with the project itself.
- Administrative services targeting Local Free Software Communities.
- All of the above.
- Board support: as you can read in the Organization section, the project will be managed by a Board, elected from the Assembly. This Board will need administrative support.
- Contact/agenda management for project representatives.
- Accommodation management for activities organized within the project.
1.3.- Administrative services for both, the project and every LFSC participant
- Regular post management: notifications, legal papers and material shipment, this is, regular post service is one of those difficult area to manage when you are a distributed organization where board members chance quiet often.
- Membership management: the management of current and new members is a tedious task that every organization must put resources on. Having an administrative service can help them to become more efficient, specially to those where a each member has to make a yearly quota.
The basic legal services needed are:
- Advice about basic legal aspects related with statutes and everyday decisions and operations for any LFSC and the project itself.
- Basic legal advice about licensing.
- Legalization of LFSC.
- Institutional agreements.
- Legal advice related with funding.
- Accounting support.
- Budget and economic reports. Costs control.
- Advice in financial decision and taxes.
- LFSC and Project activities promotion in mainstream and social media.
- Project press releases and announcements.
- Local marketing actions support.
Since the project will need to look for funds in order to grow, business development activities become a key part. The project will provide a service in this area that support participants the following areas:
- Relation with local agents/players.
- Sponsorship management support.
In another article I will talk about the resources needed to lauch the project and make it sustainable.
- Facilities management.
- Material manage, storage and control.
- Activities support.