Please keep in mind that this is the fourth of a series of post. Please read previous ones ( I, II and III) before the following.
The venue is very important in order to be successful. I suggest to launch the project in a city with the following characteristics:
- Big not not too much, so activities created have a global impact in the city.
- With at least one big University with Computers Science and Engineering/Science Faculties. This will ensure potential contributors.
- Well communicated with bigger cities so activities organized can attract visitors from those cities.
- With an international airport so it is easy for the Global Free Software Communities (GFSC) to celebrate promotional and technical activities with foreign speakers and attendees.
The facilities are a key element in order to have success. Some of the most relevant characteristics that the venue must have are:
- Close to the city center, well communicated with the airport or train station (if there is international airport) and close to the University if possible.
- Close to hotels, hostels or other accommodations. It is important to have cheap accommodation around the facilities.
- Some kind of garden or natural area where to talk comfortably outdoors.
- Cafeterias, bars and restaurants must be close to the facilities.
- Facilities must have, at least:
- A room for conferences up to 75 – 100 people.
- High quality Internet connection. Wifi in the area and outside.
- AC Plugs.
- A meeting room.
- A computer lab or a room prepared for plugging laptops.
- A networking area with some tables.
To be successful, the place must have a comfortable atmosphere. It must be a quiet but informal. It must promote interaction but also intimacy.
Go back to the description post.